Friday, October 12, 2012

Reflection #7: Education Technology Philosophy (Final Draft)


The Digital Age is here.  From the Internet to smart phones, and blogs to podcasts, all generations are taking advantage of these technological tools; there is no escaping it.  Our young people from the Net Generation, however, don’t want to escape and seem to thrive on these discoveries much more than any other generation and so have been tagged ‘Digital Natives’.  Though our children and students speak the “digital” language and seem to have no trouble incorporating new technology into their daily repertoire/routine, they probably lack the critical knowledge and wisdom they need to utilize this technology to its fullest potential.  And so it is my responsibility as a future teacher to fill this gap by empowering students with the critical knowledge and wisdom they lack.

It is essential to fill this gap in students, but in order to do so I need to inspire and motivate them to be critical thinkers.  In my classroom I will incorporate concepts from the Reconstructivism school of thought where I will encourage and engage my students to get involved in our community, nation, and world.  This will enable them to practice and become familiar with real world situations and problems where they will apply new concepts, as well as, familiar concepts from the past.  Connecting via a computer, video camera, and microphone with a similar math class in a different country would provide inspiration in a very real and tangible way.  The Internet has become an integral part of our lives, and having a class web page is a must.  Classroom lessons, homework assignments, cool links, and questions from my students could all be found on a class web site. Students will be introduced to Blogs and Podcasts, utilize these e-technology tools and more fully understand their potential.  However, with class time limited and certain curriculum mandated, real world projects and/or applications involving technology can prove difficult and so the Realism school of thought rears its head.  It will prove difficult to not fall back on the habits of the past.  Standing up at the front of the class, teaching the next math concept from the book, assigning problems out of the book, and taking a test at the end of the chapter might meet the most basic criteria of education, but would severely disadvantage the students in this digital age.  I will challenge myself to erase these old schools of thought and step outside this comfort zone in my classroom.  This will broaden my students' knowledge as well as my own and put us all in a place for optimal advancement. This leads me into the school of thought which I relate to the most which is Pragmatism.

I believe education is life. I believe we are always learning and enriching our knowledge about the world around us, and we cannot do this alone. We must collaborate with each other, mold our beliefs, problem solve, and improve each and every day as educators and students. I believe this school of thought allows the limits we have put on our education to fade. It allows me to teach in a variety of ways, utilizing a variety of different tools and mediums. It is necessary to change up my teaching styles and methods and think outside the box in order to keep my students engaged and looking at problems from multiple angles. We will solve math problems which we can relate to, learn cool math tricks, engage with others outside the classroom walls, and incorporate e-technology tools and applications to enhance our everyday learning skills and knowledge.  Technology can prove to be more than just a tool we use to complete an assignment and our use of it can grow beyond the minimal usages we initially learned on our own. I want to learn and teach the new technology’s full capabilities and prove that it can empower us, makes us smarter, more efficient and effective. In this way education will begin to fill the gap between a basic utilization of technology and the ability to exploit it to the fullest extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment